Sunday, November 24, 2013

Why is Meditation important?

Sometimes I indulge in self help books and I just can't get enough.  I get interested in a topic and I buy books and listen to tapes, research, youtube,  etc.  Then there have been other times in my life where if I just read one more page of a self help book I feel like I could just throw up!  

Why is that?  I believe it's the process of evolving as a person.  Meaning, one learns something that they need to learn and then they take the time to apply the principals, aware of the experiences, certain people come into their life and they "catch up" with what they have learned.  We are not always aware of the process, but it happens nonetheless.  

When I was in high school I had a friend that was in college and she was a mentor of types.  She was the first person who introduced me to "meditation".  She would tell me to pray for what I wanted and then Thank God for already giving it to me and "act as if" I already  received  my blessing.  Little did I know way back then she was teaching me "The Law of Attraction".  And it worked!  I can't remember a specific example, but I can remember the feelings behind it.  I took comfort in my "prayers" and my early meditations.  

I have meditated and prayed on and off over the years.  Most recently I have used my mediation as a way of improving my health, nutrition and exercise.  How you ask?  How is that that over the last few years I have lost 45 lbs, changed my eating habits and now working out 5-6 times a week.  During my mediation I would visualize being healthy, at a lower weight and being fit.  The right people have come into to my life to help and support me in this process.  It all starts to come together....

Meditation is a very personal experience, and you need to find what works for you.  I suggest to my clients to look on youtube for some ideas.  Try different guided meditations.  Sometimes its just finding the right music.  My 8 year old son tells me listening to Green Day is his mediation.  Whatever works.

I sit in my sun room.  I use my iPad and earbuds.  Sometimes I light candles.  I use different meditations depending on my mood.  Wayne Dyer has some really good tracks that I listen to.  Right now Chopra and Oprah have a free mediation series going on for 21 days.  Try it out... you have nothing to lose!



No comments:

Post a Comment